2016-2017 Voluntarism Scholarship Award
Deadline for submission: Feb. 26, 2016
The Junior League of Memphis (JLM) is pleased to announce that we are seeking qualified applicants to compete for our first annual Scholarships Awards for the 2015-2016 academic year. This year, up to $10,000 will be awarded to deserving female students who are striving to pursue a college degree. Applicants must exhibit leadership qualities and have a strong volunteer history.
The Junior League of Memphis Scholarship Award Program will award $10,000 in college scholarships to three female high school seniors. The first-place winner will receive a one-time $5,000 scholarship. Second and third place winners will each receive a one-time $2,500 scholarship.
- Reside in Shelby County or bordering county, including Fayette, Tipton, Crittenden (AR) and DeSoto (MS).
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent earned more than two years of education beyond high school and no post-secondary degree).
- Be a female graduating high school senior who is eligible and plans to attend one of the following four-year accredited colleges or universities in the year in which the scholarship application is submitted: Baptist College of Health Sciences, Christian Brothers University, LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis College of Art, Rhodes College, The University of Memphis
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to voluntarism in the local community.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- NOT be an immediate relative of a Junior League member (i.e., sibling, daughter).
- If selected as a recipient, attend an award presentation at the April 2016 JLM General Membership Meeting.
- Demonstrate financial need (A copy of the most recently submitted household tax return is required. The return should not include SSNs or any financial account numbers.
- Attend an Orientation provided by the JLM,
- Maintain regular communication with assigned JLM mentor(s) and update the JLM about first-year experience (May 2016).
- Mentoring will continue for the duration of the recipient’s college career.
Please complete the 2016-2017 JLM Voluntarism Scholarship Application for submission and the deadline is Feb. 26, 2016.
Questions? Email the Scholarship Committee at JLMemphisScholarship@gmail.com.