The 2018-2019 Voluntarism Scholarship Awards have been granted. Please stay tuned for next year’s application to open in the Spring.
The Junior League of Memphis (JLM) is pleased to announce that we have selected to award qualified applicants our annual Scholarships Awards for the 2018-2019 academic year. This year, up to $10,000 will be awarded to deserving female students who are striving to pursue a college degree. Applicants must exhibit leadership qualities and have a strong volunteer history.
The Junior League of Memphis Scholarship Award Program will award $10,000 in college scholarships to three female high school seniors. The first-place winner will receive a one-time $5,000 scholarship. Second and third place winners will each receive a one-time $2,500 scholarship. The scholarship is paid in two disbursements, once in the fall and once in the spring.
Scholarship Criteria considered in selecting scholarship recipients
Academic merit — consideration will be given to transcript (including course rigor and GPA), standardized test scores, and awards and accomplishments
Volunteer impact — including work as an organizer and leader of community volunteer activities
Strong personal character — as reflected in recommendation letters and essays
- Reside in Shelby County or bordering county, including Fayette, Tipton, Crittenden (AR), and DeSoto (MS).
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent earned more than two years of education beyond high school and no post-secondary degree).
- Be a female, graduating high school senior who is eligible and plans to attend one of the following four-year accredited colleges or universities in the year in which the scholarship application is submitted: Baptist College of Health Sciences, Christian Brothers University, LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis College of Art, Rhodes College, or The University of Memphis.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to voluntarism in the local community.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a Fall 2017 cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.