The Junior League of Memphis (JLM) is pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for our annual Scholarships Awards for the 2019-2020 academic year. This year, up to $10,000 will be awarded to deserving female students who are striving to pursue a college degree. Applicants must exhibit leadership qualities and have a strong volunteer history.
The Junior League of Memphis Scholarship Award Program will award $10,000 in college scholarships to three female high school seniors. The first-place winner will receive a one-time $5,000 scholarship. Second and third place winners will each receive a one-time $2,500 scholarship. The scholarship is paid in two disbursements, once in the fall and once in the spring.
Scholarship Criteria considered in selecting scholarship recipients
Academic merit — consideration will be given to transcript (including course rigor and GPA), standardized test scores, and awards and accomplishments
Volunteer impact — including work as an organizer and leader of community volunteer activities
Strong personal character — as reflected in recommendation letters and essays
- Reside in Shelby County or bordering county, including Fayette, Tipton, Crittenden (AR), and DeSoto (MS).
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent earned more than two years of education beyond high school and no post-secondary degree).
- Be a female, graduating high school senior who is eligible and plans to attend one of the following four-year accredited colleges or universities in the year in which the scholarship application is submitted: Baptist College of Health Sciences, Christian Brothers University, LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis College of Art, Rhodes College, or The University of Memphis.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to voluntarism in the local community.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a Fall 2018 cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- NOT be an immediate relative of a Junior League member (i.e., sibling, daughter).