History and Accomplishments

JLM Founders

Touching Lives in the Memphis Community

The Junior League of Memphis has always been an organization that isn’t afraid to roll up its sleeves and get things done.

We’ve been hard at work in Memphis for more than 90 years. In 1922, a group of 17 women gathered with the purpose of starting a local branch of the Association of Junior Leagues of America. Their first order of business was to approve donations to a local orphanage and service to the blind. All motions carried:$100 to Cheerfield Farm; $25 to the blind; $15 to a local orphanage. The commitment to the community and women as catalysts for change continues with 1,600 members, representing one of the largest groups of volunteers in our city and Junior Leagues in the world.

Since that eventful day, the Junior League of Memphis has started, coordinated, or contributed to many of Memphis’ most worthwhile organizations. These include Volunteer Mid-South, WKNO, Memphis in May, Church Health Center, Hope House, Children’s Museum of Memphis, The Salvation Army, Memphis Pink Palace Museum, Memphis Arts Council, The Memphis Symphony, Friends of the Orpheum, Emmanuel Episcopal Center, the Memphis Alcohol and Drug Council, and the list goes on.

As our past is rich with devotion and commitment, our future will be even richer with our continued focus to benefit and serve organizations and individuals throughout the greater Memphis area. The sheer number of community projects the Junior League of Memphis has been involved in over the years totals in the hundreds. We support a variety of needs, primarily those that benefit women and children.

 

history%20collage