JLM: Member Spotlight: Renee Bailey
1. What made you join the Junior League of Memphis?
I joined the Junior League of Memphis to meet and work alongside other women who are passionate about leading and serving the Memphis community.
2. What do you hope to gain from the JLM?
I hope to continue to expand my network with people who are passionate about making OUR city greater. I am certain that my time spent in the Junior League will enhance my journey of continuously becoming a better version of myself.
3. As a child, what did you dream of becoming when you grew up?
When I was a child, I wanted to be a librarian! I loved the idea of being able to read books on the job and keep the place organized!
4. Who inspires you?
I am constantly inspired by the philanthropists in Memphis who willingly give their time, money and sweat equity to see our city reach its full potential.
5. What’s your favorite quote?
“Love the life you live. Live the life you love.” -Bob Marley
6. What’s your favorite place in the world?
No way I can just narrow it down to one place but traveling is one of my favorite pastimes! My 3 favorite places to visit (to date) have been Chiang Mai, Thailand; Amalfi Coast, Italy; and Santorini, Greece. I love visiting countries that have delicious food and beautiful topography!
7. What’s the last book you’ve read?
“I Know How She Does It: How Successful Women Make the Most of Their Time” by Laura Vanderkam
8. What are you passionate about?
I am passionate about making every day meaningful: some days that may be rolling up my sleeves in a volunteer setting and other days it may be as simple as smiling and giving someone an unexpected compliment.
9. Who would you like to swap places with for a day?
I would love to swap places with Oprah for a day so that I can be charitable and make others smile on such a larger scale! “You get a car, you get a car, you get a car!”
10. What do you enjoy doing on the weekends?
On the weekends I enjoy hanging out with my husband, catching up on past episodes of Chopped and experimenting with new recipes.
11. What’s your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement has been twofold: 1) learning that a life filled with love, friends and fond memories is truly a life well-lived; 2) learning that time is our most valuable asset.
12. If you could master a skill that you don’t currently possess what would it be?
Eating cake without gaining weight…
13. What’s something on your bucket list?
My bucket list item is to have visited 50 countries by the year 2050 – 16 down, 34 to go!